Deal Hunting + Savings Plan = Winning Holiay Formula For Kiwis
DEAL HUNTING + SAVINGS PLAN = WINNING HOLIDAY FORMULA FOR KIWIS
Expedia global ‘Holiday Spending Index’ lifts the lid on holiday spending habits
- Almost half of Kiwis save for their entire holiday in advance
- Dedicated savings plans factor highly in Kiwi holiday preparation
- Kiwis in top 1/3 of nationalities hungry for holiday deals
Expedia’s new Holiday Spending Index report has revealed New Zealanders to be among the world’s most cost-conscious and savings orientated holiday makers with nearly one in five (18%) having a dedicated holiday savings fund.
Possibly a reflection of New Zealand’s geographic isolation and tradition of taking the ‘big OE’, one in six Kiwis (17%) are shown to save for more than a year in advance of a holiday.
Rated in the top 1/3 of nationalities hungry for holiday deals (85%), Kiwis are most frequently on the lookout for flight deals (67%), special promotions or seasonal sales (61%)and hotels with all-inclusive or offer meal plans (33%).
Realistic about the cost involved with travelling, half (50%) of all Kiwis feel ‘neutral’ about spending money to go on a holiday, recognising that it’s going to cost money to go away from home – in line with the global majority trend. Just over two in ten (22%) of Kiwis feel excited about parting with money to go holiday, saying the cost is worth it to have a nice holiday.
“The deal-driven nature of New Zealanders is something we’re mindful of at Expedia. We’re constantly providing great value deals, along with our policy of no booking fees, to keep the cost of travel down and inspire our customers to get out there”, said Expedia travel expert Louise Crompton. “What is clear from the survey is that Kiwis are experienced travellers who take the time to plan and consider their options.”
Splurge vs. Save
The top five most cost efficient holiday types according to Kiwis surveyed in the Holiday Spending Index report are:
- Beach holidays – in line with global average for #1
- Holidays centred around historic or cultural sightseeing
- Holidays centred around spectator events (sports, concerts or expos)
- Theme park holidays
- Ski holidays
- Casino holidays
- Health spas
If money was no object, Kiwis would opt for a cruise as the most luxurious type of holiday.
Regarded as conscientious and measured holiday planners, Kiwis are shown to be savvy spenders of their hard-earned dollar when planning a holiday and also while on holiday. Stacking the Kiwi dollar up against local destination currencies is high on the decision making agenda. The value of the New Zealand dollar rated as an important factor for two thirds (66%) of Kiwis when deciding if they will go on a holiday. For 65%, it influences where they decide to go.
Global Holiday Spending Index – FastFacts:
- There is a global acceptance (75%) that it costs money to get away. When asked how they feel about spending money to go on holiday, 44% said they feel “neutral”, while 31% replied that they feel “excited”
- Travellersfrom India (52%), Mexico (46%) and Brazil (45%) are the most likely to say they get “excited” by the thought of spending money to go on holiday, while South Koreans (29%) and Thais (23%) are the most anxious
- Globally, the most aggravating travel fees are taxes and baggage fees
- 55% of travellers find travel insurance to be “critically” or “very” important. 6% report that they find it not at all important ENDS
This study was conducted on behalf of Expedia by Northstar, a globally integrated strategic insights consulting firm. The study was conducted online from March 11, 2014 to April 2, 2014, across North America, Europe, South America, Asia and Australia/New Zealand, and surveyed 11,165 adults aged 18 years or older, across 24 countries. Sampling quotas were imposed to ensure the sample is representative of each country’s population in terms of age and gender. Assuming a probability sample, the margin of error would be +/-0.9 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.
Expedia, Inc. (NASDAQ: EXPE), one of the world's leading online travel companies, operates Expedia.co.nz™ in New Zealand. Expedia helps New Zealanders plan and book their travel by providing a personalised service, the latest technology and a wide selection of holiday packages, cheap flights, hotel bookings, car hire, in-destination attractions & activitiesand travel insuranceto suit their travel needs.
To download this release, please click here:
|MEDIA RELEASE_DEAL HUNTING + SAVINGS PLAN = WINNING HOLIDAY FORMULA FOR KIWIS.pdf||339.62 KB|